IllinoisGRMHD Working Group
Related Working Groups
Matter Codes Working Group: (link to Google Doc)
Lead: Zach Etienne (Please contact if interested in joining!)
- Shohreh Abdolrahimi (Cal Poly Pomona),
- Ashok Choudhary (WVU),
- Furqan Dar (Washington U. St Louis),
- Zach Etienne (WVU),
- Cunwei Fan (UIUC)
- Francisco Guzman (Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolás de Hidalgo),
- Bhavesh Khamesra (GA Tech),
- Pablo Laguna (GA Tech)
- Elias Most (Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies)
- Christos Tzounis (Cal Poly Pomona)
- NASA ATP ATP13-0077
- NSF 1550551 (Grant provides funding for the Einstein Toolkit, on which IllinoisGRMHD depends)
Approved in ET call on 2017-11-27.
Over the past decade, the Illinois Numerical Relativity (ILNR) Group's dynamical spacetime GRMHD code has proven itself as one of the most robust and reliable tools for theoretical modeling of GRMHD phenomena. Despite the code's outstanding reputation, it was written "by experts and for experts" of the code, with a steep learning curve that would severely hinder community adoption if it were open-sourced.
IllinoisGRMHD is an open-source rewrite of the original closed-source GRMHD code of the ILNR Group, aimed at minimizing the learning curve, with the goal of facilitating community involvement in the code's development, as well as the minimization of human effort in generating new science. IllinoisGRMHD also saves computer time, generating roundoff-precision identical output to the original code on adaptive-mesh grids, but nearly twice as fast at scales of hundreds to thousands of processor cores.
- IllinoisGRMHD website (warning: quick start guide is out of date; use official Einstein Toolkit version)
- Link to IllinoisGRMHD code announcement paper
Current Development: Software Repositories, Telecons, & Minutes
- Git repo for IllinoisGRMHD and other related modules can be found here.
- Git repo for binary neutron star helper modules and diagnostics can be found here.
- IllinoisGRMHD Working Group Telecons are held monthly. Contact Zach Etienne if interested in joining.
- Telecon minutes, including detailed notes on latest developments, are kept in this Google Doc
- April 30, 2018 ETK Telecon update